WHAT IS THE LIE?
Weird question, I know, but hear me out. We all have that negative inner voice – our inner critic – that speaks to us, judges us, and many times, hammers away at our self-esteem and self-assurance. It’s the same voice that keeps us from making changes and taking risks.
Sadly, we listen to this voice even though it speaks lies and holds us back. Here are some things an inner critic might say:
• That was a stupid question. Don’t ask any more.
• Don’t try it, you might fail and embarrass yourself.
• Stay at the job even though you’re bored and unchallenged. Be happy you have a job.
• Don’t bother asking for the pay increase, you’ll never get it.
• This really isn’t so bad. Quit complaining.
• Things are FINE. Don’t stir the pot even though you’re unhappy.
• Why can’t you just be satisfied with what you have?
Show of hands if you’ve ever heard at least one of those inside your head. There’s a lie in each one of those statements. It takes courage to spot the lie. You have that courage.
For this week, notice when your inner critic speaks and ask yourself, “What is the lie?”